Valerie's Earth's Angels
A Site dedicated to Earth's most wonderful dogs!

Earth's Angels
About Us!
Make Payment
Google

Search WWW
Search EarthsAngels

Available Puppies
The Earths Angels Gang
   Harry    Jesse    Madison    Bella    DeeDee    Diesel    Travis    Emily    Leah/Veda    Cricket    Erin    Mandy
The Scrapbook!
Sign Our Guestbook!
View Our Guestbook
Puppy Newsletter Signup
Our Reading List
Breeding Information
Healthcare Info Updated 09/28/08
   Snack Food Bags  New!
   Heating Pad Burns
   Raisins Toxic!
   Christmas Poisons
   Dough: Doggie No-No
   Your Dog Ate Glass?
   Liver Shunt
   Collapsed Trachea
   Legg-Perthes
   Lux-Patellas
   Tail Docking
   Claw Problems
Bereavement
   Jed's Page
   Do Dogs Have Souls?
   The Last Battle
   The Rainbow Bridge
   Cremation/Burial
Email Earth's Angels
Our Favorite Links

Other Sites
Amazon Books/CD/Video
ACS Consultants
Allistar Kennels
Alluring Alpacas
Allstate Complaints
Earth's Angels Kennels
Keahl.Org
Political Data Systems
SendThemPacking!
Betty Stockdale



Holiday Graphics Courtesy Of:
The Boutique
Mountian Breeze
Hella's Multimedia
DogGone Graphics
Toxic Holiday Stuff
From the National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC)

PLANTS
  • Mistletoe- Very toxic, all parts, especially the berries.
  • Holly- Moderate to very toxic, especially the berries and leaves.
  • Poinsettia- Leaves and stems low in toxicity.
  • Christmas Greens such as Balsam, Juniper, Cedar, Pine, & Fir- All parts of these plants have a low level of toxicity.

    HOLIDAY DECORATIONS
  • Bubbling Lights- Moderate to lethal toxicity, depending on the amount of fluid (methylene chloride) inhaled or ingested.
  • Fireplace Colors (fire salts)- Moderate to lethal toxicity, symptoms are gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting and a variety of other manifestations, including convulsions.
  • Angel Hair (spun glass)- Low toxicity; can cause irritation of the eyes, skin, and gastrointestinal tract.
  • Christmas Tree Preservative Solution- Low toxicity, depending upon formulation and quantity ingested.
  • Snow Sprays & Snow Flock- Low toxicity, dry particles are inert; however, toxicity from inhalation can occur if sprayed directly in mouth.
  • Styrofoam- Low toxicity; can cause choking from mechanical obstruction.
  • Christmas Tree Ornaments- Non-toxic, but mechanical irritation or obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract can occur if ingested. Icicles (tinsel)- Non-toxic, however intestinal obstruction and choking are potential problems.
  • Snow Scenes- Toxicity may come from organisms possibly in the water, most notably Salmonella. Read label warnings on all decorations and take the necessary precautions to protect your pet.

    GIFTS & MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS
  • Button Battery (disk battery)- Caustic, potentially high toxicity depending upon the position of the battery in gastrointestinal tract. Aftershave Lotion, Colognes, Perfumes, Alcoholic Beverages- Ethanol in various concentrations is moderately toxic depending upon the amount ingested. The high concentrations of essential oils in true perfumes are especially toxic.
  • Plastic Model Cement- Moderate toxicity.
  • Epoxy Adhesive- Uncured hardener: moderate to high toxicity.
  • Uncured resin: Low toxicity, primarily irritation and sensitization.
  • Adhesives, Super Glue- Low toxicity, most difficulty occurs when eyelids become bonded together.
  • Artists Supplies: Crayons, Felt Tip Markers, Pencils, Water-based Paints-Low toxicity; however, may cause more than a mild mucous membrane and gastrointestinal irritation.
  • Petroleum-based Paints- Low toxicity; primary concern is possibility of aspiration.
  • Toys- Avoid toys with parts small enough to be pulled off and swallowed and toys painted with toxic materials, etc. Use same precautions as with children. From the National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC), a non-profit, cost-recovery program at the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois in Urbana, IL.

    Emergency Help
    If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, you should call your veterinarian or you can call the NAPCC. This is not a free call. Telephone umbers for the NAPCC are: 1-800-548-2423 ($30 per case, credit card only;free follow-up calls until problem is resolved.) 1-900-680-0000 ($20 for 5 min., $2.95 per min. thereafter.)